Greenpeace Sues the Spies
By: Mark Floegel Friday October 7, 2011 2:34 pm
On 7 October, Greenpeace filed a lawsuit in Superior Court for the District of Columbia against Dow Chemical, Sasol North America (owned by the South African State Oil Company), two public relations firms – Dezenhall Resources and Ketchum – and four individuals. The suit is the result of the companies’ efforts to stop Greenpeace from exposing the effects of their pollution.
The charges in the complaint were triggered by corporate espionage directed at Greenpeace and our grassroots allies by the individuals – they styled themselves as “security professionals” – working on behalf of the chemical companies. The public relations firms were the go-betweens and in all likelihood, the chemical companies may have thought the PR firms would provide insulation and deniability.
This sounds like it fits in well with the news of the day. Wall Street is occupied by citizens outraged over the perversion of our economy and body politic by greedy corporations, the Murdoch media empire is being investigated on at least two continents for its black-bag operations and the Chamber of Commerce was recently caught hiring law firms and more “security professionals” to go after its critics.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.