Lately, Google has fallen short of its “Don’t be evil” corporate motto. Lobbyists for the tech giant are pushing for a sweetheart deal that would let it move all of the money from its offshore tax havens back to the United States — and pay hardly any taxes when it gets here.
But why should a company that recently reported $8.5 billion in profits be allowed to avoid its tax burden while the rest of us pay our share? Doesn’t that sound just a little bit evil?
Overall, corporations have stashed more than $1 trillion offshore in order to avoid U.S. taxes, and tech companies, including Google, are some of the biggest offenders.
They argue this would help the economy, but the reality is, we’ve tried these so-called tax holidays before, and they don’t work. In 2004, instead of boosting the economy, the 15 companies that brought the most money back cut 21,000 jobs and gave their executives a 60% raise. Ever since, they’ve tried to sell Congress on another holiday.
Last year, the average American tax filer paid an extra $434 to cover the revenue shortfall — money that could feed a family of four for three weeks. And in this economy especially, we can ill afford to overlook this inequity.
U.S. PIRG Executive Director
P.S. Thanks for your support. Please feel free to share this message with your friends and family.
Support U.S. PIRG. Contributions by people just like you make our advocacy possible. Your contribution supports a staff of organizers, attorneys, scientists and other professionals who monitor government and corporate decisions and advocate on the public’s behalf.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.