Waste and Fraud Problems? Cut the Investigators and It Will Disappear!
Wednesday 5 October 2011
by: Dina Rasor, Truthout | Solutions
So, you have a 90-year-old federal agency  that returns $87 for every dollar invested, recommended $50 billion in savings every year, writes over 1,000 reports to Congress every year and had 80 percent of its recommendations over the past five years instituted (at least on paper), all on a budget of half a billion dollars a year – peanuts compared to other government spending. You would think that this agency would get a big atta boy thanks and increased spending from the Congress to hire more staff and find more fraud and waste during these tight budget times.
No such luck. Both chairmen of the House and Senate Appropriations committees had suggested cutting the budget  of the Government Accountability Office (GAO) enough to cut into the staff that goes out and investigates how the money is spent. It seems to be an odd situation where the Congress would cut its own agency that saves them money, but the clue is who is insisting on the cuts – the appropriators of the money. The cut GAO movement got started by House Appropriations Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Kentucky) who wants to cut 6.4 percent of the GAO budget, but the Senate Appropriations Chairman Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska) has gone one step further and recommended an even bigger cut, 7.6 percent, than the Republican chair.
The Appropriations Committees in Congress have always been a place to go to get government money for your pet project. Lobbyists swarm the place and spread their money around to make sure that they get their piece of the appropriations pie, and members of the committee are laden with campaign contributions, especially the chairmen. Both of the chairmen are being chastised by the penny pinchers in the Congress for these cuts, but Nelson is getting much of the blowback. But he has one of the most powerful money machines in the country, if not the world, and he will probably turn a blind eye to the few Congressional watchdogs who think that the GAO will continue to pay for itself many times over.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.