Good news that Obama and his party, Rachel Maddow and The Nation, among others, are all finally getting tough about the GOP’s new Jim Crow laws, which could keep some 5 million voters from the polls in the 2012 election.
But this news isn’t good enough, because such laws are only one part of the voting problem in America, where election-theft is now a two-part process.
First of all, there’s vote suppression—all those measures, legal (or “legal”) and illegal, that are used to whittle down the pool of eligible voters. The recent wave of outright Jim Crow laws passed nationwide (with help from ALEC) is, although a major means of vote suppression, only one of many such exclusionary tactics, all deployed to close the gap between the fringe of far-right voters and the rest of us, and make US elections seem much closer than they really are.
And that’s only the half of it. While vote suppression knocks out eligible voters prior to Election Day, election fraud—managed through America’s near-universal electronic voting and vote-counting systems, owned and run by rightist private companies—cuts Democratic margins down still further on Election Day, enabling “upset victories” as needed.
Thus Bush/Cheney “won” their “re-election” in 2004—through (a) vast vote suppressionall throughout Ohio (and other states), and then through (b) election fraud arranged by Karl Rove’s IT guru Mike Connell, who’d signed a contract for that job with SoS Ken Blackwell. (Connell’s company, GovTech Solutions, carried out that mission with two other ultra-rightist firms, as the contract—which we have—spells out explicitly.) And the Republicans have won a lot of other “victories” through that same two-part process, as plenty of strong evidence makes clear; and yet the Democrats won’t say Word One about election fraud—or, for that matter,vote suppression carried out through electronic means.
For instance, the Republicans have, for years now, shrunk the number of resistant voters by erasing names of (literally) countless Democrats from electronic voter rolls, so that those would-be voters show up at the polls, only to be told that they can’t vote, even though they’d duly registered. That sort of disenfranchisement could only be prevented by a radical reform of our preposterous voting system—reform that isn’t going to happen very soon, because the Democrats et al. won’t even talk about such problems, much less try to solve them.
Why won’t they talk about them? (Who knows? They won’t discuss that, either.)
In any case, a real defense of US voting rights is going to need a drive far more courageous than this one-eyed effort by Obama, Rachel Maddow and The Nation, all of whom care infinitely more about their party than they do about American democracy.
1) Democrats Launch Plan To Combat New Voter Suppression Laws
2) Obama Denounces New GOP Voting Laws, Says the Justice Department Is Investigating
Ari Berman on October 4, 2011 – 12:21pm ET
3) Scott Gessler, Colorado Secretary Of State, Draws Federal Ire Over Questionable Ballot Practices (VIDEO, UPDATE)
The Huffington Post Ryan Grenoble First Posted: 9/29/11 01:32 PM ET Updated: 10/5/11 05:09 PM ET
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.