And it’s happening despite the will of the electorate; and will keep happening, until the people there take back their voting system, top to bottom.
Walker Keeps Grabbing Power in Wisconsin
By Rebecca Kemble, October 19, 2011
Yesterday a friend posted a comment on Facebook about how sad it was that a constituent of U.S. Senator Ron Johnson had to write the name and phone number of her lawyer on her arm before visiting his office. Nineteen people were arrested recently for attempting to gain an audience with him. She reminisced about the good old days and Wisconsinite’s relationships with former Senator Russ Feingold, who maintained a punishing schedule of listening sessions around the state even in non-election years, and who would visit people in their homes, sharing a meal or a cup of tea.
Today we are living under a constant, low-intensity siege by the organized rightwing from within Wisconsin, which is supported by the out-of-state interests of billionaires who have hijacked our political system. We are suffering the cumulative effects of traumatic stress, which are subtle, powerful, and perverse. Every day people are being arrested for reminding lawmakers that they have the constitutional right to petition their government for redress of their grievances.
This video taken on Monday gives you an eerie sense of the constant police presence in government spaces, as well as the normalization of handcuffing and arresting calm, non-disruptive, peaceful people. The committee proceedings happening during the arrest continue without a hitch or even the slightest acknowledgement that anything unusual is taking place.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.