Chinese leaders grow nervous about Occupy Wall Street
October 20, 2011 | 12:18 am
The Chinese government is unsure whether to applaud, condemn or ignore Occupy Wall Street protests
REPORTING FROM BEIJING — On Oct. 6, Occupy Wall Street inspired some little-noticed sympathy in Zhengzhou, a city in central China’s Henan province, when hundreds of pensioners and Communist Party members gathered to express their solidarity with the movement.
Photos show a small group of demonstrators, many wearing red armbands, holding a banner that reads, “Resolutely support the American People’s mighty Wall Street Revolution.”
But the demonstrators may have crossed an invisible line with the Chinese Communist Party. Videos and pictures of the demonstrations were scrubbed from the Internet within days. Censors have selectively blocked discussion of Occupy Wall Street on social media websites and pared down coverage in the state-run press.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.