Chinese leaders grow nervous about Occupy Wall Street
October 20, 2011 | 12:18 am
The Chinese government is unsure whether to applaud, condemn or ignore Occupy Wall Street protests
REPORTING FROM BEIJING — On Oct. 6, Occupy Wall Street inspired some little-noticed sympathy in Zhengzhou, a city in central China’s Henan province, when hundreds of pensioners and Communist Party members gathered to express their solidarity with the movement.
Photos show a small group of demonstrators, many wearing red armbands, holding a banner that reads, “Resolutely support the American People’s mighty Wall Street Revolution.”
But the demonstrators may have crossed an invisible line with the Chinese Communist Party. Videos and pictures of the demonstrations were scrubbed from the Internet within days. Censors have selectively blocked discussion of Occupy Wall Street on social media websites and pared down coverage in the state-run press.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.