As Scandal Engulfs American Legislative Exchange Council’s UK Affiliate, a Closer Look at Its US Operation
Tuesday 18 October 2011
by: Lee Fang and Scott Keyes, ThinkProgress
The Atlantic Bridge, the British affiliate organization to the American Legislative Exchange Council, is quickly erupting into a scandal that may force the public to scrutinize the practices of both right-wing groups. Earlier this month, the U.K.’s Charity Commission shut down Atlantic Bridge after an investigation  revealed that the nonprofit has operated as little more than a front for various corporate lobbying and Tory party interests. The scandal  has already forced the resignation of David Cameron’s Defense Secretary Liam Fox after the revelation that the Atlantic Bridge’s London-based director, Adam Werritty, had improperly acted as a high level advisor to Fox while employed by a number of military industry and lobbying clients.
In 2003, Fox and Werritty officially  partnered with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) to form the Atlantic Bridge nonprofit. The relationship flourished; ALEC supplied staff to the Atlantic Bridge, and Fox and his associates frequently  spoke at ALEC events, which are comprised of meetings between American politicians and business lobbyists. But with the implosion  of the Atlantic Bridge, which has already ensnared  lobbyists for Pfizer  and several defense firms, the controversy has brought ALEC into the limelight.
One Comment to “Big British scandal over ALEC’s UK sister prompts a closer look at both”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.