Postal Workers: The Last Union
Thursday 8 September 2011
by: Allison Kilkenny, Truthout | News Analysis
The recent attacks against the United States Postal Service (USPS) are more than signs of desperate times – a natural sunset moment for a service rendered archaic by FedEx and UPS. Rather, the Postal Service has been under constant, vicious assault for years from the right, who views this as an epic battle with the goal of finally taking down the strongest union in the country, the second largest employer in the United States (second only to Wal-Mart,) and a means to roll the country ever closer toward the abyss of privatization.
The Postal Service, which is older than the Constitution itself, stands at a precipice. If this great institution, which provides one of the oldest, most reliable services in the country, is permitted to fall and Congress kills its great union, then truly no collective bargaining rights, no worker contract, no union will be safe within the United States.
As the USPS spirals toward default, the historically uncontroversial mail service system has suddenly become a hot-button issue. It’s an unlikely organization to inspire such hysteria. The Postal Service isn’t paid for by taxpayer dollars, but rather fully funded by the sale of stamps. It’s easy to forget what a marvel this is – that today, in 2011, one can still mail a letter clear across the country for less than 50 cents. And if the impressiveness of that feat still hasn’t sunk in, attempt this brain exercise: consider what else you can buy for $0.44.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.