Italian, Spanish Unions Mobilize Against ‘Austerity’ Plans
‘We are on the edge of the abyss’
by Michele Leridon
Unions mounted a general strike in Italy and organized mass protests in Spain Tuesday as they battled government efforts to tackle the debt crisis in two of the eurozone’s most beleaguered economies.
People march through downtown Turin, Italy, Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2011 in the wake of a general strike. A strike by Italy’s largest labor confederation against austerity measures that it says penalizes workers has shut down air, land and sea transport and curtailed other public services throughout the country. Workers for the state railway, city transit systems and ferry services all were on strike. Hospital workers, postal employees and bank tellers also were joining in. CGIL leader Susanna Camusso led a march through Rome on Tuesday. (AP Photo/Daniele Badolato, Lapresse)Despite the strike, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s government backtracked under market pressure and restored measures it had cut from its latest 45.5-billion-euro ($65.6-billion) austerity package.
The Italian cabinet late Tuesday also authorized calling a vote of confidence in parliament over its austerity package to speed its adoption, citing “the seriousness of the international financial crisis”. That would allow the Italian Senate to vote on the measures Wednesday.
U.N. Body Warns of Risks of Global Austerity
By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
UNITED NATIONS — The global economy faces a decade-long stagnation because governments are pursuing deficit cuts and other austerity measures rather than providing the needed stimulus packages, said a United Nations economic report released Tuesday.
Instead of new regulation of the financial system to address the problems that helped bring on the recession in 2007-8, governments in the United States and Europe are trying to woo the very speculators who helped cause the problem, said the report by the Geneva-based United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, which is known by its acronym, Unctad.
“Those who support fiscal tightening argue that it is indispensable for restoring the confidence of financial markets, which is perceived as key to economic recovery,” the report said.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.