Sun Sep 25, 2011 at 01:00 AM PDT
NYPD pepperspray women behind barricade at #OccupyWallStreet is Viral (UPDATE: w/ victim testimony)
(UPDATE: I am sitting with Chelsea Elliott, who is the blonde woman who was attacked in the video below. Here is a short message from Chelsea, written on my laptop for you all.
I was one of the girls that was maced yesterday. I’m in the black tank [with an albino beer belly hanging]. Pretty surreal stuff. I have talked to multiple press outlets, including the New York Times, since yesterday. Ironically a few moments before what you see in the video I was telling the police officer before me that we are there for them as well. They risk their life everyday to protect us, yet their pensions and salaries are being cut and their friends are being laid off.
However, at that moment nothing really sunk in as they were under a lot of pressure. In retrospect, I am still here for the police. Most are with us, and they may have seriously helped our effort yesterday by overreacting.
In the video, I turn around as I hear screams and the girl who was behind me was slammed down onto to the pavement. I saw blood and I screamed. This violence was totally unwarranted. I look back to the officer before me and all I could say was “Stop! Why are they doing this?” Dumbfounded, I turn around again only to be maced in the face by an officer walking by in a white shirt.
The cop before me says something like “Thanks for the warning!”. He felt it, too, as did ordinary New Yorkers strolling by getting Vietnamese food behind us. I just fell and sobbed like a baby; not as tough as I want to look. It really sucks that it had to get to this level for us to get media coverage in our own country. Don’t let this scare you from our movement. And don’t be angry with the police; there’s always a bad apple. What we are doing is important and necessary and this will give us momentum…
Watch this graphic video of unprovoked NYPD violence. It has gone viral. Help it go farther by tweeting, sharing it on facebook, and getting out the evidence of what is going on at #OccupyWallStreet.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.