Unadjusted 2008 State Exit Polls: Further Confirmation of the True Vote Model
Richard Charnin (TruthIsAll)
Sept. 20, 2011
Go here for the full 8-table analysis:
I just found the 2008 unadjusted presidential state exit polls on the Roper website and do not know how long they have been available. But as far as I know, they have never been analyzed; so I have analyzed them.
It is instructive to see how the polls compare to the recorded vote and the True Vote Model (TVM). The basic results are not surprising:
Obama did better in the polls (58.1%) than the vote count (52.9%).
But the Democrats always do better in the polls. What is surprising is that he did 5.2% better – exactly matching the TVM. By way of comparison, Kerry did 3.7% better
in the unadjusted exit polls (52%) than in the recorded vote (48.3%). He had 53.6% in the TVM.
The 2008 unadjusted state exit polls confirm the TVM. The national aggregate (Table 1) exactly matched Obama’s 58.1% TVM share (Table 3). It indicates that Obama won a 22 million vote landslide, far exceeding his 9.5 million recorded vote margin. The TVM uses Final 2008 NEP vote shares but with a feasible mix of returning Kerry and Bush voters reflecting Kerry’s 7% True Vote margin.
The key result is the state exit poll aggregate vote share. The national sample size was approximately 80,000. The average state exit poll margin of error was 3.35% (including a 30% “cluster” effect). The margin of error was exceeded in 37 states; in 2004 it was exceeded in 29. Of the 50 states and DC, 45 shifted to McCain from the exit poll. The difference in margin between the exit poll and the recorded vote is the average Within Precinct Discrepancy (WPD). The WPD was 10.6 in 2008, far above the 7.4 in 2004.
The True Vote Model has closely matched the unadjusted state and national exit polls in every presidential election since 1988. In the 11 presidential elections from 1968 to 2008, the Republicans had a 49-45% recorded vote margin while the Democrats had a 49-45% True Vote margin (Table 7).
Tables 1-6 display unadjusted 2004 and 2008 State exit polls, Final National Exit Poll and True Vote Model.
Table 7 displays the 1968-2008 True Vote and the associated returning voter mix.
Table 8 displays returning voter mix and turnout in the 1968-2008 Final National Exit Polls that were required to match the recorded vote.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.