Some of us with memories that still function may recall that Bush & Co. used women’s rights to drum up liberal backing for the bombing of Afghanistan—and many liberals bought it.
That seemed to be the height of cynicism—Bush/Cheney making a strong feminist appeal. But that was nothing in comparison with this; and Oprah’s a real tool for helping out. (Come to think of it, she also helped Bush/Cheney sell their invasion of Iraq, because of that vast store of A-bombs, anthrax spores and sarin buried underneath Saddam Hussein’s jacuzzi.)
Letter to Oprah Winfrey on ‘Ethical Oil’ ads
By Emma Pullman
| September 7, 2011
I just don’t know where to begin.
I can’t find my words because I respect you so much. You’re a woman pioneer who has done much to advance the status of women globally. You’ve donated millions of dollars to various organizations, and have used your talk show to raise the profile of women’s issues. Your philanthopy has funded projects like The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa, and Women for Women International. You’ve also used your celebrity to raise awareness of environmental causes, notably the efforts to rebuild the Gulf.
That’s why I’m so stumped right now by your choice to feature ads from EthicalOil.org on your television network.
I’m all about the work that you do, but the logic of promoting tar sands oil by appealing to our desire for women’s liberation, our desire to help protect women in despotic regimes like Saudi Arabia, is deeply flawed and misguided.
2 Comments to ““The Keystone XL pipeline will free Saudi women!” That’s perfect crap, of course—but Oprah buys it!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.