POSTED: August 24, 2:11 PM ET | By Tim Dickinson
So Long, Fairness Doctrine
RS Politics Daily
by: Tim Dickinson
Few observers seriously expected the Obama administration to revive the Fairness Doctrine, the Federal Communications Commission policy requiring broadcasters to evenhandedly present “conflicting views on controversial issues of public importance.” But it’s shocking to see Obama’s FCC chair shoot it in the head and then dance on its grave.
The rule, issued in 1949, underscored the principle that in a democracy citizens need access to a diversity of perspectives, and that the agenda-setting power of broadcasters can be abused. As the Supreme Court ruled in 1969: “It is the purpose of the First Amendment to preserve an uninhibited market-place of ideas in which truth will ultimately prevail, rather than to countenance monopolization of that market, whether it be by the Government itself or a private licensee.”
The Reagan administration effectively killed the Fairness Doctrine, chosing to stop enforcing it in 1987 in the wake of a court decision by future supreme court justice Antonin Scalia and the infamous Robert Bork that made its implementation discretionary. Congress voted to reinstate the doctrine with the force of law, but Reagan used his veto pen, a move that would clear the way for the rise of right-wing talk radio and Roger Ailes’ Fox News network.
One Comment to “Reagan stopped enforcing the Fairness Doctrine, and now Obama “shoots it in the head and dances on its grave””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.