POSTED: August 24, 2:11 PM ET | By Tim Dickinson
So Long, Fairness Doctrine
RS Politics Daily
by: Tim Dickinson
Few observers seriously expected the Obama administration to revive the Fairness Doctrine, the Federal Communications Commission policy requiring broadcasters to evenhandedly present “conflicting views on controversial issues of public importance.” But it’s shocking to see Obama’s FCC chair shoot it in the head and then dance on its grave.
The rule, issued in 1949, underscored the principle that in a democracy citizens need access to a diversity of perspectives, and that the agenda-setting power of broadcasters can be abused. As the Supreme Court ruled in 1969: “It is the purpose of the First Amendment to preserve an uninhibited market-place of ideas in which truth will ultimately prevail, rather than to countenance monopolization of that market, whether it be by the Government itself or a private licensee.”
The Reagan administration effectively killed the Fairness Doctrine, chosing to stop enforcing it in 1987 in the wake of a court decision by future supreme court justice Antonin Scalia and the infamous Robert Bork that made its implementation discretionary. Congress voted to reinstate the doctrine with the force of law, but Reagan used his veto pen, a move that would clear the way for the rise of right-wing talk radio and Roger Ailes’ Fox News network.
One Comment to “Reagan stopped enforcing the Fairness Doctrine, and now Obama “shoots it in the head and dances on its grave””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.