DoJ Finds Perry’s TX Redistricting Plan Purposely Discriminates Against Minorities, Questions Similar Effect of New Polling Place Photo ID Law
By Brad Friedman on 9/23/2011 5:41pm
There are two important late Friday announcements from the newly revived, post-Bush Voting Unit at U.S. Dept. of Justice’s Civil Rights Department this afternoon. In both cases, they’ve raised serious concerns about discrimination by Republican Presidential front-runner Rick Perry’s Texas against Hispanic and African-American voters.
Given the Lone Star State’s history of discrimination against racial minorities, new laws and regulations which relate to elections and voting must be pre-cleared by the Dept. of Justice before they can be put into effect, as per Section 5 of the federal Voting Rights Act.
In one finding, the DoJ sees purposeful discrimination against minorities in the state’s redistricting plans [PDF] for apportioning both new statehouse districts, as well as four new U.S. House seats being added in the wake of the 2010 census. The new seats are being added due to an increase in the TX population, thanks in no small part, ironically enough, to huge growth in the state’s Hispanic population. The DoJ finds the proposed statehouse plan violate Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, stating that it “was adopted, at least in part, for the purpose of diminishing the ability of citizens of the United States, on account of race, color, or membership in a language minority group, to elect their preferred candidates of choice to the Texas House of Representatives.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.