NFL wants pat-downs from ankles up at all stadiums
By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY
By Reinhold Matay, AP Photo
The NFL wants all fans patted down from the ankles up this season to improve fan safety.
Under the new “enhanced” pat-down procedures, the NFL wants all 32 clubs to search fans from the ankles to the knees as well as the waist up. Previously, security guards only patted down fans from the waist up while looking for booze, weapons or other banned items.
The stricter physical screening policy impacts the 16.6 million fans expected to attend live regular season NFL games this season. The more thorough searches will spell longer lines for ticket-holding fans seeking entry to games. It’s sure to raise the ire of some fans who consider it an invasion of privacy.
The NFL recommended the new guidelines before Week 1 of the season, says spokesman Brian McCarthy. The league hopes fans will be “patient” — and arrive earlier to games to avoid long, punishing lines.
Football fans face another new NFL rule: the enhanced pat-down
Story posted 2011.09.15 at 08:24 PM EDT
(Reuters) – In the first week of the 2011 NFL season, football fans were asked to get used to the league’s controversial new rule on kickoffs, introduced to reduce player injuries.
In Week Two, which begins on Saturday, many surprised fans will get their first introduction to another potentially controversial rule imposed by the league with safety in mind: the enhanced pat-down.
The National Football League confirmed to Reuters on Thursday that it had asked the league’s 32 teams to dramatically increase the physical screening spectators are required to undergo before they enter the stadium.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.