NFL wants pat-downs from ankles up at all stadiums
By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY
By Reinhold Matay, AP Photo
The NFL wants all fans patted down from the ankles up this season to improve fan safety.
Under the new “enhanced” pat-down procedures, the NFL wants all 32 clubs to search fans from the ankles to the knees as well as the waist up. Previously, security guards only patted down fans from the waist up while looking for booze, weapons or other banned items.
The stricter physical screening policy impacts the 16.6 million fans expected to attend live regular season NFL games this season. The more thorough searches will spell longer lines for ticket-holding fans seeking entry to games. It’s sure to raise the ire of some fans who consider it an invasion of privacy.
The NFL recommended the new guidelines before Week 1 of the season, says spokesman Brian McCarthy. The league hopes fans will be “patient” — and arrive earlier to games to avoid long, punishing lines.
Football fans face another new NFL rule: the enhanced pat-down
Story posted 2011.09.15 at 08:24 PM EDT
(Reuters) – In the first week of the 2011 NFL season, football fans were asked to get used to the league’s controversial new rule on kickoffs, introduced to reduce player injuries.
In Week Two, which begins on Saturday, many surprised fans will get their first introduction to another potentially controversial rule imposed by the league with safety in mind: the enhanced pat-down.
The National Football League confirmed to Reuters on Thursday that it had asked the league’s 32 teams to dramatically increase the physical screening spectators are required to undergo before they enter the stadium.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.