Walker suspends order requiring minority, women participation in construction projects
State Rep. Toles fears action will encourage discrimination in construction industry
Story compiled by MCJ Staff
In what can best be described as a stealth move that only came to light this week, Gov. Scott Walker recently suspended an executive order requiring minority and women apprentices on state construction projects.
On March 9, amidst the rancor of controversy and protests over his efforts to deny state unions collective bargaining and a proposed state budget that many observers have described as “draconian” because it severely cuts state aid for a number of quality-of-life programs,
Walker quietly signed Executive Order No. 18, which suspended Executive Order No. 108 requiring employers awarded state construction contracts to participate in Wisconsin’s apprenticeship program.
Many minority workforce advocates claimed the apprenticeship program was the only path to employment in the construction trades for minorities and women.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.