Josh Fox scores an Emmy for fracking documentary ‘Gasland’
BY CLAIRE THOMPSON
14 SEP 2011 5:06 PM
On Saturday, Josh Fox took home an Emmy for Outstanding Direction for Nonfiction Programming for Gasland, his widely acclaimed documentary on the destructive practice of natural gas fracking. Gasland was nominated for a Best Documentary Oscar earlier this year, but lost to Inside Job. HBO is now airingGasland, making it eligible for TV as well as film honors. The award came as part of the Creative Arts Emmys, broadcast a week before the “Primetime” Emmys.
“President Obama, I hope you are paying attention,” Fox said when he went on stage to accept his award. “We cannot allow America to turn into a gas field.”
Josh Fox made a splash at Sundance in 2010 with Gasland and its portrayal of the regular folks getting fracked over by the natural gas industry — including Fox himself, who mobilized to make the film after being offered $100,000 to lease his land for exploration. Even if you haven’t seen the whole film, you’ve probably seen a clip of the flaming faucet in a home where hydraulic fracturing had contaminated the drinking water. (Or if you missed it, watch below.) Images like these helpedGasland push fracking into the public consciousness.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.