Bernie Sanders Offers Bold Plan to Tackle “Jobs Crisis” and No Cuts to Social Safety Network
Submitted by BuzzFlash on Wed, 09/07/2011 – 1:34pm.
A BUZZFLASH AT TRUTHOUT NEWS ALERT
The following is a September 7 statement by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont):
As President Barack Obama prepares for a Thursday address on jobs to a joint session of Congress, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) called today for putting Americans back to work through a series of bold measures that include rebuilding the country’s crumbling infrastructure.
As part of a four-point plan to jumpstart the economy, Sanders also said the federal government should do more to help cash-strapped states and local governments that have been forced to furlough teachers, firefighters, police officers and other workers. He advocated transforming our energy system with job-creating investments in renewable and sustainable energy sources. And he called on Congress to reconsider so-called free-trade policies that have decimated manufacturing in the United States.
“While everyone understands that we have got to reduce the deficit, the number one challenge America faces right now is a jobs crisis,” Sanders said, noting that 25 million Americans, 16 percent of the workforce, are today either unemployed or underemployed.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.