From Frank Brodhead:
Hi – I don’t think this is a good article, and readers interested in this topic should look at the cables themselves. On the WikiLeaks site you can e.g. call up a chart listing all the cables in the data base that were sent from Doha, Qatar in 2005. It is evident from scrolling through October and November that the US ambassador and the political affairs officer were very active in learning about, engaging with, and criticizing the Aljazeera staff over the content of their program and website. (This was just weeks before the roll-out of Aljazeera English, so we are talking about content in Arabic.)
Of the dozen or so cables about Aljazeera and meetings w/Aljazeera personnel in these two months (10 & 11/2005), the Times article focuses on one of them. A simple reading of the cable appears to show a news director courteously but firmly replying to a detailed indictment of everything Aljazeera was supposed to have done wrong. I think it is a misreading to say that Aljazeera was collaborating with the US around Iraq coverage. I would say they were coping with a bully, standing their ground but willing to admit fault if the facts led to that conclusion.
Two cables to look at esp. would be http://wikileaks.org/cable/2005/10/05DOHA1734.html and http://wikileaks.org/cable/2005/10/05DOHA1765.html
NB in November one of the embassy cables proposes steps to be taken in response to the reporting by Aljazeera about the British documents reporting on a Bush-Blair meeting in which Bush proposed bombing Aljazeera headquarters in Doha. And Aljazeera was attacked in Afghanistan. I think we need to keep in mind that “bullying” was not just random chatter.
September 21, 2011
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.