Historians Politely Remind Nation To Check What’s Happened In Past Before Making Any Big Decisions
SEPTEMBER 28, 2011 | ISSUE 47•39
Trying to avoid repeating bad things we did in the past is a good idea, historians say.
WASHINGTON—With the United States facing a daunting array of problems at home and abroad, leading historians courteously reminded the nation Thursday that when making tough choices, it never hurts to stop a moment, take a look at similar situations from the past, and then think about whether the decisions people made back then were good or bad.
According to the historians, by looking at things that have already happened, Americans can learn a lot about which actions made things better versus which actions made things worse, and can then plan their own actions accordingly.
“In the coming weeks and months, people will have to make some really important decisions about some really important issues,” Columbia University historian Douglas R. Collins said during a press conference, speaking very slowly and clearly so the nation could follow his words. “And one thing we can do, before making a choice that has permanent consequences for our entire civilization, is check real quick first to see if human beings have ever done anything like it previously, and see if turned out to be a good idea or not.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.