Justice Department rejects Texas redistricting maps
Feds find fault with 2 redistricting maps
Lawyers say proposals on state House and Congress violate Voting Rights Act standards.
By Nolan Hicks
Updated 01:13 a.m., Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Lawyers for the U.S. Justice Department said two of Texas’ controversial redistricting maps didn’t comply with the Voting Rights Act’s minimum standards, finding that the proposed changes to state House and congressional districts failed to maintain or increase the ability of minorities to elect their candidates of choice.
While the department’s filing in federal court in Washington, D.C., on Monday isn’t binding, it virtually assures that Attorney General Greg Abbott’s lawsuit will head to trial. In the past, it has usually fallen to the department to certify that Texas’ redistricting plans don’t violate civil rights protections. Abbott bypassed that process by taking redistricting to the court.
Legal observers expect the three-judge panel assigned to the case to set a trial date as early as Wednesday.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.