Here is an important story, which raises some extremely troubling (although not surprising) questions about Wisconsin’s dubious recall elections.
To be frank, I wish this piece were better-written, and hope there will be clearer coverage of what’s shaping up to be a major scandal.
Wisconsin Wire: Update on Governor Office Writing Election Software, Two Recalls Stolen?
September 7, 2011
By Segway Jeremy Ryan
As you may recall, last week we released a bombshell news story on our elections here in Wisconsin. As was explained and released here, it was recently found that the Department of Administration has people on hand that can read election programming code and that write certain election related software. As some people know and some do not, the DOA is run by the Secretary of the Department of Administration, a position directly under the Governor. So, in short, the Governor, whom most Wisconsinites do not trust nor approve of has the ability to dip his hand in elections to some extent. Despite every precaution ever made to make it impossible for any partisan interest to influence elections, we come to a point where this may be exactly the case. We demanded a statement stating what involvement the DOA has in elections software and who writes the software, among other things. We demanded this statement by 1PM today, September 6, 2011. We went to the DOA at 2:30, met by six police officers in the lobby. They handed CJ and I an envelope with the statement we had requested copied verbatim as follows:
CJ and Jeremy;
I am responding to your note from last week. I believe your questions stemmed from a Q&A with Kevin Kennedy as to whether the Government Accountability Board (GAB) has the in-house ability to evaluate the code in electronic voting equipment. Kevin’s response was no, but that in the event the GAB did decide to evaluate the code, GAB could use experts at the Department of Administration (DOA), the University of Wisconsin or outside consultants to assist them. DOA is only working on the Statewide Voter Registration System (SVRS) and other in-house applications – not voting equipment. There is no connection between SVRS and voting equipment. Voting equipment programming is the responsibility of local election officials, who either rely on their IT staff or hire a vendor to do it.
Christopher P. Schoenherr
Office of the Secretary
Department of Administration
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.