Back in August of 2010, the Election Defense Alliance came out with a troubling study of Scott Brown’s victory (if that is what it was) in the race to fill Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat the previous January. The piece, by Jonathan Simon, included this observation:
“Where votes were observably counted by hand, the Democrat Martha Coakley defeated the Republican Scott Brown by a margin of 2.8%; where votes were counted unobservably and secretly by machine, Brown defeated Coakley by a margin of 5.2%.”
And aside from that anomaly—which, as usual, went wholly unreported by the corporate and progressive press—there was much else about that race that ought to worry anyone who cares about democracy:
Those now hoping that Elizabeth Warren will take Brown’s place in the Senate would do well to pay attention.
By Ernest A. Canning on 9/18/2011 11:11am
Transparency Champ Warren to Run for U.S. Senate – But Will the Election Tabulation be Transparent?
Guest blogged by Ernest A. Canning
“One of the great questions of our time is whether the American people, through Congress, will control the greed, recklessness and illegal behavior on Wall Street, or whether Wall Street will continue to wreak havoc on our economy and the lives of working families.”
– Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) 9/16/11
Sanders’ question is indeed one of the “great” ones for our time. But, as Yoda said, “there is another.”
If there was ever a candidate perfectly suited to expose the lie that is to be found in the pseudo-populism of the mega-billionaire Koch brothers funded and controlled ‘Tea Party’ that helped Scott Brown (R-MA) secure a reported upset win in the 2010 special election to fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated by the death of the late Edward “Ted” Kennedy (D-MA), it would be Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.