Recapping the 2011 Ames Straw Poll
Iowa State Daily
By Daily Staff
Total votes: 16,892
(In 2007: 14,000—and in 2003: 24,000)
Bachmann: 4,823 (28.5 percent)
Ron Paul: 4,671 (27.6 percent)
Pawlenty Votes: 2,293 (13.6 percent)
Santorum: Votes: 1,657 (9.8 percent)
Cain: Votes: 1,456 (8.6 percent)
Romney: Votes: 567 (3.3 percent)
Gingrich: Votes: 385 (2.3 percent)
Wikipedia – Format of the Iowa Straw Poll
The poll takes place among attendees of a fundraising dinner benefiting the Iowa Republican Party. Before the vote, each candidate is given a chance to make a short speech to the attendees.
The poll has been described as a cross between a political convention and a county fair, where Iowa voters have a chance to mingle, eat barbecue and have a little fun. The party divides the venue into sections and auctions each to the candidates, who can then set up booths to present their case to the voters. The larger areas and those closest to the entrance often fetch the highest price. In 2011 bidding started at $15,000 and ranged to as high as $31,000 (bid by Ron Paul). 
Non-Republicans are allowed to vote in the Ames Straw Poll. However, all voters must be at least 16 1/2 years of age, be legal residents of the state of Iowa or a student attending an Iowa university/college, and purchase a ticket priced at $30, however some campaigns pay the fee for their supporters. Voters have their hands stamped or their thumbs dipped in ink when entering the voting area so that they cannot vote twice. Ballots are put into electronic voting machines.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.