Millions at Risk After Shift in Track for Hurricane Irene – NYTimes.com
August 25, 2011, 10:15 am
Millions at Risk After Shift in Track for Hurricane Irene
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
10:35 a.m. | Updated
Millions of residents of the East Coast for whom a hurricane strike is, at best, a dim memory now face a serious threat from Hurricane Irene. For days computer simulations of the long-term trajectory of the storm had been shifting a bit to the east day by day.
But the latest analysis by the National Hurricane Center has shifted the zone for the storm location five days from now to the west. You can see the shift in the video below, which is an animation of the sequence of forecasts by the center:
Trend is not destiny, of course, and the spaghetti charts of model runs remain mixed. But emergency planners in New York City are surely examining the maps of the city’s hurricane evacuation zones and, while hoping for the best, preparing for the worst (as should everyone in the region).
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.