From Liz Rich:
A friend of mine visiting her daughter in Midland, Texas (an oil capital) heard some Texas oil men (big Perry supporters) bragging about buying lots of land in upstate NY to lease to fracking companies. Good bye unpolluted water in NY State.
Someone tell Robert Kennedy, Jr.
Anything we can do about it? Seems to me Cuomo has already been bought off.
U.S. Can Try to End New York Fracking Lawsuit, Judge Rules | Verdant World News
August 16, 2011
U.S. District Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis ruled that the U.S. government can try to throw out
a New York lawsuit over natural gas leases in New York State filed by Eric T. Schneiderman, New York Attorney General, on the grounds that the state cannot prove injury. The suit was filed on the grounds that the regulations allowing hydraulic fracturing without a full environmental review proposed by the Delaware River Basin Commission would affect the drinking water of 9 million New Yorkers. According to court papers filed by trade groups representing oil and gas companies with natural gas leases in New York State, the lawsuit could shut down gas development in the Marcellus Shale, one of the largest natural gas reservoirs in the world,
“for many years to come.”
If the lawsuit goes through, regulations would be halted until a full environmental review of
all health and safety risks is completed, in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act. In the lawsuit, Schneiderman notes that New York City has spent $1.5 billion buying land to serve as a pollutant buffer, upgrading sewage plants, and regulating human activity in an effort to protect drinking water resources. He also points out that in Pennsylvania drilling of over 2,000 natural gas wells has resulted in “hundreds of violations of water pollution laws.” Several similar but separate suits will be consolidated with the New York State case.
Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.