From Jonathan Simon:
Losing the War On You: How It’s Come To This
Anyone handicapping negotiations knows that it matters not a whit where they begin or what the score is in the 6th inning;
it’s where it’s going to end up, and about that there’s been, or should have been, no doubt at any point:
Cheshire cat smiling ubercynic Mitch McConnell (who is one right-winger who I have 0% doubt knows all about the electoral rigging done and to come) was going to write the plan with Grover Norquist, it was going to have Zero on the revenue end and crippling cuts to the hated New Deal programs (finally), it was going to be all about “drowning government in the bathtub,” and Obama wasn’t even going to be given enough ‘cover’ to survive in 2012 (when the ‘disaffection of his base’ will be the cover story explaining his defeat as well as the demise of the Democratic senators riding his negative coattails).
The Democrats in the Senate will be insane to pass the McConnell “compromise”—but, being insane, they will, leaving Obama a choice whether to sign and seal his own electoral doom or veto and plunge the world into a financial tailspin. Now all this was politically preordained when the GOP netted a spectacular 125 House seats (mostly for Tea Party wingnuts) on a modest Generic Congressional Ballot lead of 9% last November. (By way of comparison, the Democrats’ 26% Generic Congressional Ballot advantage netted them only 58 House seats in 2006, the last off-year election. That’s 125/9 vs. 58/26 and that’s statistically impossible in the absence of wholesale rigging.)
And everything in between was essentially Kabuki, and not worth paying the slightest attention to.
Yes it is a war on you, as Michael puts it—and they’re slipping blanks in your guns and dum-dum bullets in theirs each November. We won’t even begin to be able to fight back until we take over the vote counting process, make it public and observable with Hand-Counted Paper Ballots. Period.
Election Defense Alliance
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.