SOURCE: http://www.propublica.org/blog/item/Read-the-Embarrassing-Hacking-Allegations-That-News-Corp-Redacted

Read the Embarrassing Hacking Allegations That News Corp Redacted

by Marian Wang
ProPublica
, Aug. 16, 2011, 11:50 a.m.

New documents published today cast doubt on News Corporation’s claims that top executives and editors at the now-defunct News of the World were unaware of widespread phone hacking at the paper. One of the documents had also been aggressively redacted by News Corp., which removed references that referred to top editors knowing about the hacking. We’ve posted the document, with News Corp’s redaction revealed.  

The document, a four-year-old letter from former News of the World correspondent Clive Goodman, asserted that other members of the staff were also using phone hacking and that the practice “was widely discussed in the daily editorial conference.” The letter also alleged that News of the World had promised that Goodman, who was fired for phone hacking, that he could have his job back if he “did not implicate the paper or any of its staff.” Goodman, along with private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, both served jail time in 2007 for phone hacking, and the scandal died down after a limited investigation by Scotland Yard found no evidence of widespread hacking.

When News Corp. recently sent a copy of the letter to the parliamentary committee investigating the scandal, it removed or redacted the embarrassing allegations. But we know what the references said because Harbottle & Lewis, a law firm that conducted an internal review of News Corp., sent the committee another copy of the letter that left in those key details.   

One committee member, Labor MP Tom Watson, told the Guardian that the letter from Goodman is “the most significant piece of evidence that has been revealed so far.” In a statement, News International told the Guardian: “We recognize the seriousness of materials disclosed to the police and parliament and are committed to working in a constructive and open way with all the relevant authorities.”



Post comment

Forbidden Bookshelf

Forbidden Bookshelf




“While We Were Sleeping”

While We Were Sleeping is an urgent call to save Greenwich Village from New York University's uncontrolled expansion.

Click here to donate to NYUFASP and receive a copy of "While We Were Sleeping: NYU and the Destruction of New York" (minimum donation to receive a book is $10 plus $8 shipping).

Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD



About News From Underground

News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.

If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:

Help News From Underground!





Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."

Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: markcrispinmiller@gmail.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Popular Posts

Blogroll

Need a bigger font size?




Sponsored Links



  • Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.