Paul Ryan’s Office Locks the Door on Unemployed Constituents
Submitted by Brendan Fischer on August 25, 2011 – 8:10am
Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan’s focus on cutting federal social programs apparently leaves little time to deal with the unemployed in his district, according to constituents who have been staging a sit-in at his Kenosha, Wisconsin office since last week, and who were barred from Ryan’s office by police on Wednesday.
National Aspirations Crowd-Out Local Obligations
Since Thursday, August 18, several of Rep. Ryan’s unemployed constituents, frustrated at their inability to get in touch with their congressman to express concern about jobs, have been occupying their representative’s Kenosha office. Others have been protesting outside.
“Ryan has been long on plans for cutting Social Security and Medicaid, and short on plans for job creation,” said Kelly Gallaher, community organizer and coordinator of Kenosha-based Community for Change. Gallaher, who has been attending the protesting in support of those sitting-in, points out that Racine has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. Racine’s unemployment levels often surpass those of Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s largest city and the fourth-poorest in the United States.
According to Gallaher, “the toll the economy has taken on people in Racine is being ignored by Congressman Ryan.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.