STEVEN ELBOW | The Capital Times | email@example.com | Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:00 am
Union-busting laws prompt WEAC to cut 40 percent of workforce
Mary Bell, president of the Wisconsin Education Association Council, speaks on the steps of the state Capitol building during protests in February against legislation curbing union workers’ rights.
The statewide teachers union has issued pink slips to 42 of its employees as a result of union-busting policies enacted by Republicans this year.
The Wisconsin Education Association Council, a heavy hitter in Democratic campaign funding, announced that the layoffs constitute 40 percent of its employees. It did not provide details on who lost their jobs.
“Obviously, WEAC is affected by Gov. Walker’s union-busting legislation, and our organization is responding on many fronts,” said the union’s executive director, Dan Burkhalter, in a press release. “Layoffs and budget cuts are a reaction to the legislative action that was taken.”
The controversial legislation sharply curtailed collective bargaining rights for nearly all public workers, including the state’s teachers. It also ended the practice of mandatory union dues, which promises to dry up funds used for lobbying and campaign financing.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.