The harder these fierce champions of “family values” struggle to deny all sexual appetite—their own (publicly, at any rate) and everybody else’s—the more such craving rears its ugly head.
The above photo was subsequently replaced on the Telegraph website by this one:
Would Rumors About His Marriage Haunt a Rick Perry Run?
6/22/11 at 5:00 PM
Rick Perry, if he enters the GOP primary race, will be well-positioned to chip away at Mitt Romney’s front-runner status. But while Romney has, at least for political purposes, an impeccable marriage to wife Ann, Perry’s marriage to wife Anita has long been dogged, at least inside Texas, by whispers.
Politico resurfaced the rumors for the national crowd this week, explaining that “his team is more than prepared for a re-airing of unsubstantiated rumors.” (For instance, in Politico articles re-airing them. Or Daily Intel posts discussing those articles.) The most vicious gossip, which Perry publicly addressed in 2004, alleged that he was gay and had cheated on his wife with a member of his administration. The Austin Chronicle, the one paper that seems to have been willing to devote actual ink to the story, wrote that though they were “extraordinary in their baroque detail and remarkable persistence,” there was no evidence whatsoever, and “numerous other reporters, from here to New York, have looked into the rumors, with, as far as we know, an identical lack of results.”
But the gossip didn’t go entirely dormant, at least not when it was politically expedient: Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Perry’s opponent in the 2010 gubernatorial election, juiced up the SEO keywords of her campaign website with “rick perry gay.” That same election, a Democratic PAC ran an ad in most of the major Texas newspapers that was clearly meant to remind voters that Perry’s red-blooded American maleness wasn’t an established fact: “When he’s not in San Francisco … Perry’s … flipping through the pages of his Food and Wine magazine … in his fancy … rental mansion,” read the copy. (Perry does not support gay marriage; Texas Democrats, theoretically, have made LGBTQ rights an important part of their platform. The party was silent on the gay-baiting ads.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.