Ron Paul and fellow Republicans failing history
BY GUEST OPINION | AUGUST 30, 2011 7:20 AM
Rep. Ron Paul has become an Iowa darling over the last two presidential-election cycles. With cries promoting a less active foreign policy and being the lone candidate to point out the flaws of America’s “War on Drugs,” enthusiastic Iowa Republicans have rallied behind Paul. But his domestic agenda undermines his foreign-policy appeal. Particularly startling are his ideas on education, terrific ignorance of the Constitution, and an all-too-familiar tone in the Tea Party Republicans’ attempts to mislead Americans.
Claiming that the Constitution does not authorize Congress to create a Department of Education (it does), Paul displays a startling lack of Constitutional competency. Article I, Section VIII, Clause XVIII — the “Necessary and Proper Clause” — granted Congress the authority to create the Department of Education in 1979 with the “Department of Education Organization Act.” It was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter, serving to consolidate the many bureaus handling federal involvement in public education. While the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, it is not as if Republicans have not had opportunities to repeal that Act of Congress.
But the willful deception only begins.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.