Teachers Union Lays Off 40 Percent of Staff
By Erin Toner
August 16, 2011 | WUWM | Milwaukee, WI
The state’s largest teachers union sent layoff notices to 40 percent of its workforce on Monday. Union leaders say the cuts are the result of what it calls Gov. Walker’s “union-busting bill.” As WUWM’s Erin Toner reports, his collective bargaining bill eliminated negotiating rights for most public unions, and left them without an automatic means of enrolling members and collecting dues.
The Wisconsin Education Association Council, or WEAC, represents more than 80,000 public school teachers and support staff. Executive Director Dan Burkhalter says after the collective bargaining law took effect, a record number of members retired over fear their benefits could be cut. He says union membership will take another hit because schools are scaling back because of state budget cuts.
“Across the state school districts are eliminating positions either through layoffs or by not hiring staff to replace the record number of teacher retirements in the wake of Act 10 and the devastating cuts to school districts in the state budget. Fewer school employees means a loss of revenue for WEAC that represents them,” Burkhalter says.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.