Writing in 1995, Bruce Sterling identified the threat posed by the anarchists on the right. Unlike the wanna-bes on the left, who march in the streets with giant puppets and throw bricks through windows, the right-wing anarchists are destroying the institutions that created our society, and building something closer to their anarchic hearts. Maybe it’s a Theocracy, maybe it’s some kind of Randian paradise, but whatever it is, they are well on their way.
The seeds were planted years ago. B.C. Forbes, Malcolm’s dad and Steve’s granddad hated FDR and raised a family devoted to undoing the New Deal. Richard Nixon’sratfucking. Lee Atwater using dogwhistles, deceit and lies to destroy opposing politicians for the first George Bush. The crude video tactics of Andrew Breitbart The violence and murders of the right-to-life movement. The open-carry tactics used to frighten people in public parks. Caging voters. These tactics are far from the free and open discussion of political matters that is the hallmark of a democracy.
It isn’t just tactics. Republicans are busy destroying the institutions that for decades controlled the merciless drive for power. Tom Delay changed centuries of practice by redistricting Texas a second time [.pdf] after the 2000 census, causing a swing of six seats from Democrats to Republicans in a state already controlled by Republicans.
Hurtling toward economic chaos
The economies of the U.S., Europe and China are on the edge of disaster By Mike Davis
LA Times Op-Ed: July 26, 2011
When my old gang and I were 14 or 15 years old, many centuries ago, we yearned for immortality in the fiery wreck of a ’40 Ford or ’57 Chevy. Our J. K. Rowling was Henry Gregor Felsen, the ex- Marine who wrote the 1950s bestselling masterpieces “Hot Rod,” “Street Rod” and “Crash Club.”
His books — highly praised by the National Safety Council — were deterrents to unsafe driving, meant to scare my generation straight with huge dollops of teenage gore. In fact, he was our asphalt Homer, praising doomed teenage heroes and inviting us to emulate their legend.
One of his books ends with an apocalyptic collision at a crossroads in a small Iowa town, and the deaths of the teens are graphically described. We loved this passage so much that we used to read it aloud to one another.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.