FRIDAY, AUGUST 12, 2011
Bingo Jury Gives Obama Justice Department a Kick in the Crotch
The era of political prosecutions more or less started in Alabama with the Don Siegelman case during the George W. Bush years. Perhaps it ended here yesterday, in the Obama years, when a federal jury in Montgomery rendered no convictions in an electronic bingo/vote buying trial.
Jurors deadlocked on some charges and found not guilty on all others. That’s nine defendants, 37 counts, and zero convictions, for those of you keeping score at home. It was as if the jury sent the U.S. Justice Department this resounding message: “Take your bogus political prosecutions and jam them up your . . . ” Well, you get the idea.
Andrew Kreig, of the D.C.-based Justice Integrity Project, called it “one of the most remarkable setbacks nationally” for federal prosecutors in decades. Kreig also nailed it when he wrote, “this was a humiliation of epic proportions for the Obama Justice Department and its Bush DOJ holdovers.” Kreig goes on to outline the bumbling that accompanied the investigation:
The government, including the Republican state administration of two-term Gov. Bob Riley spent vast amounts in its investigation, prompted in part by Riley’s public stance of opposing gambling. Riley last year sent 135 police vehicles on a dawn raid to shut down the Country Crossing electronic bingo casino in Dothan, for example. That police raid proved to be a public relations disaster that in effect previewed this week’s. A YouTube video of the raid showed that the casino was already closed upon the arrival of what became known as the “Riley’s Raiders” police armada, which seemed more suitable for quelling an armed urban riot than raiding a bingo parlor. On top of all the planning that must have gone into the 4 a.m. operation, troopers arrived without a search warrant and therefore had to return to HQ on that basis also.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.