Why Water is the New Oil | Rolling Stone Politics | RS Politics Daily | Rolling Stone Writers and Editors on Political News
Why Water is the New Oil
POSTED: July 7, 7:20 AM ET | By Julian Brookes
We take water for granted. And why not? We turn a tap and out it comes. But that’s going to have to change, says author Alex Prud’homme. As he explains in a new book, The Ripple Effect, the basic problem is this: the quantity of water in the world is finite, but demand is everywhere on the rise. As oil was in the 20th century – the key resource, a focus of tension, even conflict – so water will be of the 21st, as states, countries, and industries compete over the ever-more-precious resource. So we need to figure out how to use it more sustainably. But that’s not all. In the United States fresh water is under threat from new kinds of barely understood pollutants, from pesticides to pharmaceuticals, and from a last-century infrastructure of pipes, dams, levees, sewage plants that urgently needs upgrading.
All this and (much) more you’ll learn from The Ripple Effect, a book that will forever change the way you think about what comes out of your faucet. (A film based on the book, titled Last Call at the Oasis, produced by the same folks who brought us An Inconvenient Truth and Food Inc., is in preparation.) Rolling Stone recently got Prud’homme on the phone to talk about thirst, waste and the fate of fresh water.
Reading the book, I was really struck by how fundamental water is to so many processes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When it comes to election fraud, InfoWars is just as blind as all our other media
- While Obama preaches “human rights” to Russia, Don Siegelman sits shackled in an Alabama courtroom, spends Christmas in solitary confinement
- Racist NY cops colluding with Republicans to undermine de Blasio
- Wisconsin court examining Scott Walker’s case is mostly just as dirty as Scott Walker
- A New York City cop speaks out on those who turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Big Pharma's faking a "grass-roots" campaign to keep Jenny McCarthy off "The View"
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.