Why Water is the New Oil | Rolling Stone Politics | RS Politics Daily | Rolling Stone Writers and Editors on Political News
Why Water is the New Oil
POSTED: July 7, 7:20 AM ET | By Julian Brookes
We take water for granted. And why not? We turn a tap and out it comes. But that’s going to have to change, says author Alex Prud’homme. As he explains in a new book, The Ripple Effect, the basic problem is this: the quantity of water in the world is finite, but demand is everywhere on the rise. As oil was in the 20th century – the key resource, a focus of tension, even conflict – so water will be of the 21st, as states, countries, and industries compete over the ever-more-precious resource. So we need to figure out how to use it more sustainably. But that’s not all. In the United States fresh water is under threat from new kinds of barely understood pollutants, from pesticides to pharmaceuticals, and from a last-century infrastructure of pipes, dams, levees, sewage plants that urgently needs upgrading.
All this and (much) more you’ll learn from The Ripple Effect, a book that will forever change the way you think about what comes out of your faucet. (A film based on the book, titled Last Call at the Oasis, produced by the same folks who brought us An Inconvenient Truth and Food Inc., is in preparation.) Rolling Stone recently got Prud’homme on the phone to talk about thirst, waste and the fate of fresh water.
Reading the book, I was really struck by how fundamental water is to so many processes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50 years ago, Suharto slaughtered over 500,000 Indonesians—with US help, or guidance (all still hidden)
- There may be water flowing on Mars! (But is there intelligent life on Earth?)
- We don’t trust private companies to do right—and yet let them count our votes??
- Voting on the Internet! A great idea! (Let’s let VW handle it, with guidance from the NSA)
- You want secure elections—i.e., REAL ones? Bring back the paper ballot!
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Who is killing all those "natural health" physicians in America?
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.