Why Water is the New Oil | Rolling Stone Politics | RS Politics Daily | Rolling Stone Writers and Editors on Political News
Why Water is the New Oil
POSTED: July 7, 7:20 AM ET | By Julian Brookes
We take water for granted. And why not? We turn a tap and out it comes. But that’s going to have to change, says author Alex Prud’homme. As he explains in a new book, The Ripple Effect, the basic problem is this: the quantity of water in the world is finite, but demand is everywhere on the rise. As oil was in the 20th century – the key resource, a focus of tension, even conflict – so water will be of the 21st, as states, countries, and industries compete over the ever-more-precious resource. So we need to figure out how to use it more sustainably. But that’s not all. In the United States fresh water is under threat from new kinds of barely understood pollutants, from pesticides to pharmaceuticals, and from a last-century infrastructure of pipes, dams, levees, sewage plants that urgently needs upgrading.
All this and (much) more you’ll learn from The Ripple Effect, a book that will forever change the way you think about what comes out of your faucet. (A film based on the book, titled Last Call at the Oasis, produced by the same folks who brought us An Inconvenient Truth and Food Inc., is in preparation.) Rolling Stone recently got Prud’homme on the phone to talk about thirst, waste and the fate of fresh water.
Reading the book, I was really struck by how fundamental water is to so many processes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whose planes are making ammunition drops for ISIS?
- What happened to WSJ oil reporter David Bird? (Last week they found his body, after 14 months)
- Helping “pre-elect” Jeb Bush, SCOTUS won’t hear challenge to Wisconsin’s photo ID law
- US banks are now required to tell the cops of any “suspicious activity”—like withdrawing $5,000
- Here’s a lot of scary truth about the Boston bombing trial
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Prison notes from Abu Dhabi: U. Florida professor jailed for taking pictures
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Some vaccines are safe—and some are DANGEROUS! (MUST-READ)
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.