Who’s Buying Wisconsin’s Recall Elections?
Local and out-of-state groups show strong interest
By Lisa Kaiser
The unprecedented recalls of nine state senators have sparked the interest of organizations seeking an advantage in Wisconsin politics.
For Republicans, it’s a do-or-die moment. If the Democrats can flip three seats in the Senate, the GOP and its conservative allies will lose the complete control they currently have over the three branches of the state government.
For Democrats and the labor movement, the recalls are the only way they can return from the dead. If they can’t take out three of six Republican senators and defend the seats of three Democrats who are being recalled, then their immediate future is quite bleak. More of Gov. Scott Walker’s extreme right-wing policy agenda will be rubber-stamped by a compliant Legislature. Even more serious, the Republicans totally control the redistricting process, so the Republican-controlled Legislature will draw lines that will favor their party for the next 10 years. And in contrast to years of razor-thin results that have favored Democrats in statewide races, Wisconsin could turn red in the 2012 presidential election because of the Republican-backed legislation that has made it harder for many students, elderly residents and poor people to vote.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.