Les Hinton Resigns: Wall Street Journal Publisher,
Top Murdoch Ally Out Over Phone Hacking
The Huffington Post Jack Mirkinson First Posted: 7/15/11 04:05 PM ET Updated: 7/15/11 06:15 PM ET
Les Hinton—a longtime ally and confidante of Rupert Murdoch, the publisher of the Wall Street Journal and the CEO of Dow Jones—is resigning, the paperreported Friday. His resignation is effective immediately. He becomes just the latest corporate casualty of the phone hacking crisis which has engulfed Murdoch’s News Corp.
Hinton was the head of Murdoch’s British newspaper division, News International, from 1995 to 2007—the period in which employees illegally hacked into thousands of peoples’ voicemails. He has also been at Murdoch’s side for 52 years, since he was just 15 years old.
His departure came on the same day that the current head of News International, Rebekah Brooks, also resigned. It leaves Murdoch’s son James as the last major figure connected directly to the scandal-scarred division (he runs News Corp’s European and Asian holdings) not to relinquish his position.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.