| Tell New York State officials: Stop the no-bid contract to News Corp!
News Corporation’s growing phone hacking scandal has shut down one newspaper, led to ten arrests, numerous resignations, and now, an FBI investigation into allegations that News Corp staff may have sought to hack the voicemail of victims of 9/11 and their families.
Yet despite this unfolding scandal, the state of New York is preparing to finalize a $27 million no-bid contract to News Corporation subsidiary Wireless Generation, for educational and testing software.1
It’s shocking that the State could award a contract to a company that is currently under investigation for spying on Americans, including potentially 9/11 victims.
Governor Cuomo, Attorney General Schneiderman, and Comptroller DiNapoli have the power to stop this no-bid contract from being approved — and that’s exactly what they should do.
Even without the investigation, this deal stinks.
Murdoch’s News Corporation purchased Wireless Generation late last year, and just after, New York City Schools chief Joel Klein announced he was leaving his post to head Wireless Generation. In June, just seven months later, Wireless Generation was awarded the $27 million no-bid contract by the state.
Now, as his empire is consumed in scandal, Murdoch has tapped Klein to head the effort to respond to government investigations, which means, as ThinkProgress puts it “that New York is readying to hand over tens of millions of dollars in taxpayer dollars to a corporation that may have hacked 9/11 victims and which is being defended in the scandal by a man who once was a high-ranking official in New York City government.”2
New York State officials simply should not award this contract while News Corp remains under federal investigation. Let’s make sure state officials know just how many New Yorkers are watching this closely.
Thank you for taking action.
Elijah Zarlin, Campaign Manager
1. “Mired In Scandal, News Corp Seeks New York State’s Signoff For $27 Million No-Bid Contract,” ThinkProgress, July 14, 2011
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.