| Tell MSNBC: Fire Pat Buchanan!
This week Pat Buchanan wrote, astonishingly, that Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik “may be right” in his perception of a Crusades-like conflict between Christians and Muslims.1
So why is MSNBC paying Buchanan to broadcast his extreme views on air?
Buchanan should be able to say just about anything he wants. But MSNBC — a network that is now working to position itself as the progressive alternative to FOX News and CNN — doesn’t have to give him a platform.
MSNBC President Phil Griffin considers the network “the place to go for progressives.”2
But promoting bigotry and racism is anything but progressive. Buchanan’s laundry list of unabashed white-supremacy includes downplaying slavery,3 writing a book in which he advocated shutting down our borders to maintain white dominance and espoused the genetic superiority of whites,4 complaining that confirming Elena Kagan would put too many Jews on the Supreme Court,5 and even defending Hitler. Repeatedly.6
Now, Buchanan is validating Breivik’s radical, anti-Muslim ideology — the ideology Breivik wrote about extensively in his 1,500 page manifesto, citing numerous prominent American right-wing voices of Islamophobia,7 especially regarding the Park51 Islamic Community Center. Buchanan himself likened the center to the Nazi’s trying to march in Skokie, Illinois 3 decades ago.8
Whatever MSNBC’s new slogan Lean Forward might mean to them, it’s the exact opposite direction of the rhetoric that Buchanan stands for. If the network wants to maintain any credibility, it’s time to leave Buchanan behind.
Thank you for fighting hate.
Elijah Zarlin, Campaign Manager
1. “Pat Buchanan: ‘Breivik May Be Right’,” Media Matters, July 26, 2011
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.