Time For a New Plan: Frightening Jobless Numbers Show Flaws in GOP Austerity Agenda
By Sarah Jaffe, AlterNet
Posted on July 8, 2011, Printed on July 16, 2011
Republicans say government cannot create jobs. It certainly seems capable, however, of eliminating them.
The jobs numbers for June are out and to call them “bad” would be an understatement. The jobless rate is up to 9.2 percent; if you include those who stopped looking for work (what the Labor Department calls “marginally attached” to the labor force) and the underemployed (those with part-time work who need full-time work), the rate is a staggering 16.2 percent, up from 15.8 percent last month.
To put it in perspective, the economy added only 18,000 jobs—and 14.1 million people are unemployed. Those numbers will barely keep up with population growth. Workers are currently more likely to drop out of the labor force than find a job.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.