News Corp. shares hammered in wake of British phone hacking scandal
July 8, 2011 | 5:27 pm
Shares in Rupert Murdoch’s empire, News Corp., have been roughed up this week as the British phone hacking scandal continues to cast an ominous cloud over the global media company’s management.
By Friday, after four days of salacious news coverage, shares of News Corp. had fallen 6%, erasing $2.6 billion in market value. A week ago the shares were trading above $18. They closed Friday at $16.75 in New York.
The crisis has tarnished the reputation of Murdoch and his youngest son, James, who four months ago was elevated to the No. 3 management spot in News Corp. Now deputy chief operating officer, James Murdoch has been in charge of the company’s Asian and European operations, including its British newspapers, since 2007.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.