Phone hacking: MPs ‘were misled’ by James Murdoch
James Murdoch was accused by two former senior executives at the News of the World of misleading Parliament over his knowledge of the extent of phone hacking at the newspaper.
By Robert Winnett, and Christopher Hope
10:13PM BST 21 Jul 2011
The former editor of the tabloid and its lawyer said that in 2009 they told Mr Murdoch, the chairman of News International, about evidence suggesting phone hacking was not limited to a single “rogue” reporter.
Appearing before MPs earlier this week, Mr Murdoch said that he had not been aware of the evidence at the time, a statement which has now been called into question by two men who claim they told him personally.
MPs announced that Mr Murdoch would have to explain the alleged discrepancy in his evidence to their committee. Misleading a parliamentary committee is potentially a criminal offence.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.