What a lot of bunk! This is precisely the propaganda you get from folks who BELIEVE in anti-Internet voting as a RELIGION, w/o any science behind it. Several states in Europe and provinces in Canada have been using Internet voting for years, w/o technical or security glitches. (One 45 min delay in Toronto in 2003) The actual FACTS show that the security technology for Internet voting is as reliable as that used by the multinational banks, which are rich as hell because they have such security.
Soper knows there is a huge difference between email voting, and genuine Internet voting – from your PC or cell phone to a secure server – but he doesn’t mention that. He tries to make people think that the two technologies are equivalent as far as security is concerned. They are not.
Another small item he overlooks is that California has had voting by fax, yes fax, for years. Military people, for example, sometimes can’t vote by mail because it is too undependable in foreign places. While fax voting isn’t very private, at least your vote gets there, and counted. Two political scientists w/ Cal Tech who study the subject, Hall and Alvarez, write of California: “There have not been any allegations of widespread fraud or irregularities associated with faxed UOCAVA [overseas] ballots that we have found…” 87, Hall and Alvarez, Electronic Elections
In 2009, Obama signed the MOVE Act. Because of the problems for military voters, the Act encourages states to try out electronic technology for ballot returns. In 2010, over 33 states used some form of fax, email, or real Internet voting. West Virginia, for example, used real Internet voting in several counties. SOS Tennant was so pleased with the results that she asked the state legislature to let all the counties use it for overseas voters.
Paper security blankets only give false hope. The history of paper ballots is replete w/ fraud. Don’t convert to Soper’s religion. Instead, demand real Internet voting for our troops, and show them we appreciate their sacrifices.
William J. Kelleher, Ph.D.
Follow me on Twitter: wjkno1
You can see all comments on this post here:
6 Comments to “In defense of Internet voting (Let the debate begin!)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.