What a lot of bunk! This is precisely the propaganda you get from folks who BELIEVE in anti-Internet voting as a RELIGION, w/o any science behind it. Several states in Europe and provinces in Canada have been using Internet voting for years, w/o technical or security glitches. (One 45 min delay in Toronto in 2003) The actual FACTS show that the security technology for Internet voting is as reliable as that used by the multinational banks, which are rich as hell because they have such security.
Soper knows there is a huge difference between email voting, and genuine Internet voting – from your PC or cell phone to a secure server – but he doesn’t mention that. He tries to make people think that the two technologies are equivalent as far as security is concerned. They are not.
Another small item he overlooks is that California has had voting by fax, yes fax, for years. Military people, for example, sometimes can’t vote by mail because it is too undependable in foreign places. While fax voting isn’t very private, at least your vote gets there, and counted. Two political scientists w/ Cal Tech who study the subject, Hall and Alvarez, write of California: “There have not been any allegations of widespread fraud or irregularities associated with faxed UOCAVA [overseas] ballots that we have found…” 87, Hall and Alvarez, Electronic Elections
In 2009, Obama signed the MOVE Act. Because of the problems for military voters, the Act encourages states to try out electronic technology for ballot returns. In 2010, over 33 states used some form of fax, email, or real Internet voting. West Virginia, for example, used real Internet voting in several counties. SOS Tennant was so pleased with the results that she asked the state legislature to let all the counties use it for overseas voters.
Paper security blankets only give false hope. The history of paper ballots is replete w/ fraud. Don’t convert to Soper’s religion. Instead, demand real Internet voting for our troops, and show them we appreciate their sacrifices.
William J. Kelleher, Ph.D.
Follow me on Twitter: wjkno1
You can see all comments on this post here:
6 Comments to “In defense of Internet voting (Let the debate begin!)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.