From Jeremy Hubbell:
Gov. shutdown was getting pretty bad for the “people”—stories were on the front page of the paper about running out of beer and cigarettes in
a few weeks as vendors run out of licenses. Oh, and Miller/Coors has to be removed from shelves… But, just in the knick of time, I read on
the Star Tribune website this evening that Dayton has caved to the GOP! Whew! Free beers all around! The shutdown will end in a few days
(story below). Details will probably be in tomorrow’s paper but I think one commentator (“europea”) got it right:
“This is a total sell-out by Governor Dayton. It merely kicks the can down the road again, and sets Minnesota up for more political tricks next
year. For the Republicans, it is vindication of their overall strategy: lard up the legislative pipeline with outrageous social issue bills to scare
the wits out of the DFL, then throw them away to get a reduced budget that preserves the tax advantages for the very rich (donor overlords). Republicans: your plan worked. The only casualties were the Minnesotans who actually work (or want to work) for a living, which you don’t
really care about anyway.”
So there you have it: union-busting working in Wisconsin, and budget-busting has finally worked in the land of Arne Carlson…
I bet as MN goes, so goes the nation. Bush tax cuts forever!
Dayton, GOP reach a budget deal to end the two-week government shutdown
Baird Helgeson, Star Tribune
DFL Gov. Mark Dayton and GOP legislative leaders announced Thursday evening they have reached a budget deal to end a two week government shutdown.
After a three-hour meeting with GOP leaders, Dayton said the shutdown will be done “very soon, within days.”
Dayton agreed to drop his insistence on a tax hike and accept the Republican offer to borrow money to balance the budget.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.