Bookseller Borders Group to liquidate, eliminating over 10,000 jobs
By Shannon Jones
20 July 2011
In the latest sign of a worsening jobs crisis, Borders Group and Cisco Systems announced huge new job cuts this week. Borders, the second largest book-selling chain in the United States, said Monday that it has abandoned attempts to find a buyer and plans to liquidate its remaining 399 stores beginning Friday, at a cost of 10,700 jobs.
Michigan-based Borders filed for bankruptcy in February and closed about one-third of its 650 stores. Since that time it has continued to lose money and has had difficulty convincing publishers to ship books on normal terms, with many insisting on immediate payment.
Borders had hoped to sell its assets to the Arizona buyout firm Najafi Companies, owner of the Book-of-the-Month-Club. However, Borders creditors objected to the terms of the sale. Borders had set a Sunday deadline to find a new buyer. The company will present its plan for liquidation to a bankruptcy judge on Thursday.
One Comment to “Borders to liquidate, killing 10,000 jobs”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.