New Report Details Threats to America’s National Parks
By Joan McCarter, Daily Kos
Posted on July 4, 2011, Printed on July 4, 2011
What’s more patriotic on this long holiday weekend than visiting one of the 394 parks in the National Park System? From the absolutely stupefying and indescribable expanse of Grand Canyon National Park to the tiny urban jewel that is the Theodore Roosevelt Island National Memorial, they are the nation’s classrooms, playgrounds, zen gardens, escape.
And many of them are in jeopardy, according to a new report from the National Parks Conservation Association, “in the face of pollution, invasive species, climate change, energy development, adjacent land development and chronic funding shortfalls.”
A decade in the making, the report—The State of America’s National Parks—represents the most comprehensive overview yet performed on resource conditions in America’s national parks.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.