There are vast stretches of America—known also as “the greatest country in the world”—where people can’t get on the Internet. This is not just an unhappy economic situation (all those folks unable to buy baby wipes and DVD’s from Amazon!) but a major CIVIC problem, as those regions also tend to have no local media, which means that they have no alternatives to Christianist broadcasting and the corporate press (assuming there’s a difference). This doesn’t mean that everybody out there would immediately check out worthy sites, but it does mean that thosewho would, or might, cannot. (People cannot know what they don’t know until they see it.)
Yet another indication that the media policy in this, the planet’s greatest country, isn’t fit for human beings.
5 Reasons Internet Access in America is a Disaster
By: John Cheese
June 09, 2011
Right now, I’m typing this column from a friend’s shed. At 1:30 a.m. — it’s 100 degrees inside. There is no bathroom. It smells like oil and gasoline from the lawnmower behind me. Why? Because Internet access in a large part of America is kind of fucked.
When you hear people complain about it — say, when somebody jokes about how jealous they are of their Korean friend’s 50 MB/s connection — everybody assumes they’re complaining about how long it takes to torrent an HD movie or whining about a latency disadvantage in Call of Duty.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.