From Allen Feldman:
The seminal Greek documentary Debtocracy, on the current violence of EU and IMF neoliberalism:
The struggle for self-constituting democracy has expanded from North Africa , the Gulf and Syria to Syntagma Square, Athens, the eulogized birthplace of the demos. The death/rebirth of Hellenic democracy and the massive police violence on democratic sovereignty, with 1,000 civilian casualties to date, can be witnessed on 24-hour webcam at:
Today the Greek police almost succeeded, where Mubarak’s thugs failed in Tahrir: in evicting democracy. They blockaded the square, used massive tear-gas clouds to disperse the protesters, and burned the medical tents set up to treat the wounded, who were forced to flee with medical personnel to a nearby subway station.
Note how well-equipped, in this country of economic austerity, are the Greek police with their body armor and the latest in tear gas hoses that eject gas like bug spray directly into people’s faces (something I haven’t seen before). I was told by an Athenian anthropologist that the day the socialist PASOK party assumed power, the police presence in the streets escalated out of all proportion to the levels of crime and/or protest at that time.
Greek Police repression-technology can be seen here:
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.