In just 24 hours, we’ve collected more than 5,000 signatures on our declaration to end Big Oil’s dependence on taxpayers.
The support makes it clear that taxpayers don’t want to be paying an extra $4 billion in subsidies on top of the $4 a gallon we pay at the pump. The big five oil companies announced $34 billion in first-quarter profits earlier this year. That’s $258,752 a minute, in profits! They don’t need our subsidies to keep them afloat.
If left untouched, these subsidies will cost taxpayers $43 billion over the next 10 years.
The debate over budget deficits has put a spotlight on these subsidies, and the more you look, the worse they seem. We are facing steep cuts to mass transit and high-speed rail projects — exciting and forward-thinking transportation choices for the 21st century — while maintaining unnecessary subsidies to oil and gas.
The stark contrast provides an unprecedented opportunity to end oil subsidies once and for all. The president has proposed cutting these handouts in his budget. Fifty-two senators including both Democrats and Republicans voted to end the subsidies.
We need to keep the pressure on, and make sure Congress hears from us now.
And then please forward this message on to your friends and family.
U.S. PIRG Executive Director
Support U.S. PIRG. Contributions by people just like you make our advocacy possible. Your contribution supports a staff of organizers, attorneys, scientists and other professionals who monitor government and corporate decisions and advocate on the public’s behalf.
5 Comments to “WHY does Big Oil get $4 BILLION in taxpayer subsidies? Let’s stop it!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.